In conjunction with the South Australian Orchid Society, Valley View Secondary School offers the Orchids in School Program where students work with volunteers to grow orchids in the school shade houses.
The Orchid in Schools program has run for over four years with numerous students participating on a weekly basis. Students are required to maintain and prepare orchids for competitions across the state. Each year, students successfully enter orchids into the Royal Show winning many awards in the school category.
Pedal Prix is a personal development and community engagement program that is offered to students in year 8 through to year 12. Pedal Prix racing is a competition where teams of up to 12 students, race 3 wheeled recumbent trikes against students from other schools. The aim is to complete as many laps as possible, of a race track, within the allocated time period. Students have the opportunity to develop skills, knowledge and experience in; Physical Fitness, Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Technology, teamwork, resilience and collaboration.
Valley View Secondary School competes in the Uni SA HPV Super Series, which involves 3 races throughout the year. Two races are 6 hours in length and the final race is a 24 hours on a street circuit in Murray Bridge.
At Valley View Secondary School there are many ways to become involved in Pedal Prix which include:
- The business and management side of the program, including sponsorship and data management.
- Pit crew and vehicle tuning, maintenance during races but also vehicle repair after races
- Driving the vehicle which involves physical conditioning, fitness recording and developing good vehicle control in race conditions.
- Community involvement is also a vital component of our team. Parents, staff, community members and old scholars all play important roles
Valley View Secondary School first entered Pedal Prix in 2016 with team manager, Danielle Fattori establishing the “Viper Racing Team” with a highly motivated group of support staff and students. The team has now grown in size and has both a junior and senior team.
As part of Performing Arts, Valley View Secondary School offers students in Year 8, through to Year 12, the opportunity to participate in our biannual school musical production. This is an excellent way for students to meet others across the school with similar interests, and develop positive relationships in a supportive and creative environment. It also allows students to develop lifelong skills, such as; organisation, confidence, resilience, collaboration, commitment and teamwork.
At Valley View Secondary School, there are many ways to become involved in the School Musical, including:
- Auditioning as a performer in an on-stage role, which could include singing, dancing and acting.
- Working on the technical side of things, plotting lighting and working through audio-technical cues
- Designing and creating backdrops and props
- Designing and applying stage makeup for performers
- Stage management and crew, rehearsing and implementing staging of equipment for the performance
In 2019, Valley View Secondary School performed ‘Alice in Wonderland’, the first of many School Musicals to come, directed and choreographed by the Performing Arts Teacher, Hayley Horskins. 45 students were involved in making this show a success, dedicating their time and effort over the year to auditions, rehearsals and planning. The show was a huge success and Valley View Secondary School is excited to see the Performing Arts develop over the coming years.
At VVSS we have had a strong tradition of being involved in our NE Vista competitions. These activities are those that are performed in a regular school day and allow our students to make new friends, improve well-being, become physically active and learn new skills. Sports we have participated in the past include; Basketball, 5-a-side soccer, cricket, 9-a-side football, volleyball, beach soccer and lots more!
Sports are advertised each term through our regular Bulletin on DayMap and students can be involved in as many sports as they choose by nomination.